Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Blues, Booze and Barbecue



Louisiana is the land of festivals; there is a festival for anything and everything with music and food usually being the main event. The 7th Annual Crescent City Blues and BBQ Festival was held over the weekend and the line up was one not to miss, that's if you are a fan of the blues.  Even if you didn't think you were a fan it's safe to say you would have been after this weekend. Blues man Keb Mo, veteran soul singers Clarence Carter (Slip Away, Patches and Strokin') and Latimore (Let's Straighten It Out and My Give A Damn Gave Out ), Sugar Blue (Hoochie Goochie Man), Larry Burton, Baton Rouge's Grammy-winning blues artist Chris Thomas King (Hard Times Killing Floor Blues), Miss Lavelle White, New Orleans' own Johnny Sansone and returning to New Orleans after a long absence is blues man Ironing Board Sam were some of many on the bill who blessed us with their presence.









Over the weekend the air was filled with blues, funk and the smell of smoke from grills. I would have to say the perfect marriage would be blues and barbecue. The vendors were plenty and had many options from traditional to innovative. Making my way to the line of food vendors made my decision extremely difficult (remember, I have a hard time making a decision). I was watching plates of Jerk Pork; Burnt Ends of Brisket w/White Bread and  Pickles; Smokey Ribs w/Corn Pudding and Greens, and Barbecue Pulled Pork over grits pass me by. I eventually chose the Pecan Smoked Pulled Brisket and Pulled Chicken Sliders, because Whole Hog Cafe was in Santa Fe and I wanted to see if my favorite item on the menu (Pecan Smoked Pulled Chicken) taste the same and they did not disappoint here in the Crescent City. Sorry! I ate the pulled chicken slider, before I remembered to take a picture.

Whole Hog Cafe - Pecan Smoked Pulled Brisket Sliders
Boswell’s Jamaican Grill - Jerk Pork Plate
Vaucresson’s Sausage Company - BBQ Chicken Sausage Po Boy
Crescent City Blues & BBQ Festival 2012

Did I mention the festival is free??? It was one big outdoor party in the city of New Orleans enjoyed by the young and the old.
Next Crescent City Blues and BBQ Festival will be held on October 18 - 20, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment